Small Business Commissioner
Legislation was passed in October 2011 to establish an Office of the South Australian Small Business Commissioner.
Following the appointment of Mr Mike Sinkunas as the inaugural Small Business Commissioner, the Office commenced operation in March 2012.
The Small Business Commissioner will ensure South Australia’s small businesses have a fair and competitive environment in which to grow and expand by providing low-cost mediation services in business-to-business and business to state and local government disputes.
The Commissioner also has the power to enforce mandatory codes of conduct that carry monetary penalties for breaches, he says.
Other key functions of the Small Business Commissioner are to:
- provide guidance to help inform decision making to minimise disputes
- monitor and investigate unfair market practices and non-compliance with prescribed industry codes under the Fair Trading Act 1987
- offer other alternative dispute resolution mechanisms where appropriate
- work proactively with key stakeholders to encourage better business conduct and the principles of fair dealing and good faith
- advise the Minister for Small Business on a range of matters affecting small business.
Office of the Small Business Commissioner
Level 14 , 19 Grenfell Street, Adelaide
Postal address: GPO Box 1264, Adelaide SA 5001
Telephone (08) 8303 2026
Toll free 1800 072 722