The South Australian Government is establishing Adelaide as a university city of the future.
The State is in a position to attract campuses and programs of highly-ranked foreign universities and achieve a greater share of Australia's overseas students.
International student numbers are growing each year and have outstripped the national average in six of the past eight years, largely due to the work of Education Adelaide.
Adelaide attracted more than 34,400 international students in 2010 as education became South Australia's second largest export sector, generating $1.05 billion for the economy and supporting more than 6,500 jobs.
Adelaide's renowned universities offer internationally recognised qualifications and work closely with the State's top companies to help provide employment opportunities for students.
- The University of Adelaide is a member of the prestigious group of eight universities
that consistently ranks among the best in the Asia Pacific.
- The University of South Australia is one of the largest, fastest-growing, most collaborative and innovative universities in the country.
- Flinders University is progressive, dynamic, friendly and accessible, offering a stimulating environment in which to work or study.
- In May 2006, Carnegie Mellon University opened its Asia Pacific education base
- University College London is offering masters degrees specific to the mining sector from its new Adelaide campus, which opened in 2010.
Vocational Education and Training (VET ) providers in South Australia include the government-run TAFE SA, Le Cordon Bleu and the International College of Hotel Management. TAFE SA is part of an Australian network of technical institutions offering courses from Certificate to Degree level.
South Australia also has an outstanding reputation for providing high-quality education to school-aged overseas students. The State's International Baccalaureate program is the largest in Australia.
The State has many courses to help students learn and improve their English skills. Numerous providers offer enabling and foundation courses for entry into higher education.