Knowledge Intensive services
The South Australian Government, through the Department for Manufacturing, Innovation, Trade, Resources and Energy (DMITRE) is supporting the state’s high-value, knowledge intensive services capabilities to diversify its economic base and drive sustainable economic growth.
South Australia’s Knowledge Intensive Services enable innovation and productivity in traditional industries such as agriculture, manufacturing and mining as well as in emerging industries such as cleantech, high-value manufacturing and resources technology and services. With its mature service industries, South Australia is also well placed to take advantage of the growing global demand for Knowledge Intensive Services, especially among emerging economies in Asia.
Important facts about Knowledge Intensive Services in South Australia
- There are more than 20,000 Knowledge Intensive Services businesses
- Industry activity accounts for almost 25 percent of the economy and almost 20 percent of employment
- Knowledge Intensive Services have generated 1.2 billion in export revenue in 2010/11, which is 9% of the total goods and services exports in South Australia.
- Education is South Australia’s most successful export to date, generating a revenue of $985 million in 2010/11, which is almost double the revenue from education export in 2004-05
What is a Knowledge Intensive Service Business?
Knowledge Intensive Services are those that:
- are provided by private sector businesses, commercial public sector organisations and research bodies that use knowledge and technology to drive their business.
- are provided by business that engage in more research and development, use higher technology and employ more highly skilled workers compared to other types of services businesses.
- are tradable, in that they are able to be exported or substituted for imports from other countries and other states.
- are recognised as providing a significant amount of innovation in modern developed economies.
Visit the Knowledge Intensive Services Gateway to learn about Knowledge Intensive Services in South Australia.